- Technology has come a long way! Telemental health is a subset of telehealth services that uses online, interactive videoconferencing platforms to provide mental health services from a distance. Computers, laptops, tablets and smart phones can be used.
- Telemental health services are provided through a HIPAA compliant and secure platform. No permanent video or voice recordings are kept from telemental health sessions (not permitted by therapists or clients). Telemental health services are not appropriate for all clients. If telemental health is not a good fit for you, we will help you to find alternative options. Clients must disclose the physical address of their location at the start of each session. Clients must provide a phone number where they can be reached in the event of service disruption.
- Clients are to provide the name and contact information for a local emergency contact. In the case of a mental health emergency during a telemental health session where a client is deemed at imminent risk of harming themselves or someone else, the therapist will contact the client’s local emergency services and/or 911.
BENEFITS AND RISKS
- Telemental health refers to psychotherapy services that occur via video conferencing. When using technology there is always the risk of security issues, as well as technical issues (phone not charged, computer or software not working, etc.). Precautions to safeguard your information will be made but is not guaranteed. As a reminder, there is always the possibility that unauthorized persons may attempt to discover your personal information. There are steps that clients can take to increase the safety and privacy, this includes, but are not limited to: scheduling appointments at times when you are alone and password protecting any technology you will be using.
- In addition to the identified risks, there are several benefits that come from using technology. For instance, it allows therapists to connect with people who may otherwise not be able to access services. It also provides the ability to participate in treatment from your own home or other environment where you feel safe and comfortable.